My Photo
Name:

Oh wretched man that I am, who will save me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Weekly Report 2

Ben Robinson
Weekly Report # 2
10-13-05
"Shadowing Service Coordinator"

This past Sunday I spent the morning shadowing the service coordinator at my church. Basically, she is responsible for making sure everything runs smoothly and on time. For the first twenty minutes or so of the service she was literally everywhere. One minute she would be in the chapel and the next minute she'd be rushing through the sanctuary. I had difficulty keeping up. After the beginning of the service wound down and Pastor DeNeff began to speak the job became much less hectic. Once the sermon was underway there was not much she needed to do.

I had mixed feelings about the morning. On the one hand the service was incredibly organized and the service coordinator was in a sense "insurance" that everything would remain that way. Yet I also felt as if the service was almost being made out to be a grand theatrical performance. Considering that College Wesleyan Church has 2-4 different venues going on at the same time it is reasonable to expect that there must be some sort of stabilizing force that provides congruence for the various services. And yet I still could not help but feel a bit uncomfortable with some of the manner in which the service was orchestrated. Have we placed such an importance upon making people "comfortable" in our services that we have, in a sense, failed to be true to what a worship service should entail? But perhaps this is my high church lens which is causing me to view these sorts of services with suspicion. There is something about liturgy which does not seem theatrical in the way that this service appeared.

Despite all this banter, I did learn that we take for granted the many "behind the scenes" people who are working at creating a meaningful worship experience for their congregation. While I may not be sure what I feel about some of the finer points I certainly respect the dedication the service coordinator shows and the drive that College Wesleyan has to remain organized and efficient. So this is my thank you to all the "little people" who do the things we didn’t even know needed to be done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brennan said...

Ben I would completly agree with your comment on taking things for granted when we are just attending church and not making sure that things run smoothly. I am exstatic that things are going well and that College Church is teaching you things about worship that you have never learned. Continue to take advantage of this great learning opportunity that this worship practicum has brought upon your life. God is great

12:12 AM  
Blogger Roberta Tupper said...

Ben

I just wanted to say that you are probably one of the most well spoken people I have ever met. You can make the most uninteresting things, sound interesting...it truely is a gift!

But I would also have to agree with what you said. I often take for granted the people that do all the behind the scenes stuff and make sure that the service runs with out a hitch.

I'm glad to see that while you are thinking critially about your situation, you are also looking at the modivation of your crics.

Roberta Tupper

1:44 AM  
Blogger Dr. Cherry said...

Ben, you are doing some important and solid thinking. I think you raise some important issues such as "Is the sermon the culmination of worship?" Continue to contemplate this.

Dr. Cherry

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home