My Photo
Name:

Oh wretched man that I am, who will save me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Weekly Report 9

Ben Robinson
Weekly Report #9
11-27-05 through 12-4-05
"Praying During Service"

I had the wonderful opportunity to lead the congregation in prayer this Sunday. I prayed the invocation as well as a simple prayer asking for God's providence in the situations that those in the congregation are going through. I decided to use an invocation that I had previously submitted for class. It is as follows:

Holy and ever present God! We acknowledge Your transcendence and rejoice in both it and Your promise of immanence. Open our hearts and our minds, that we may gladly receive that which You have spoken and continue to speak. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.


I have found that I much prefer a "scripted" prayer over "spontaneity." Perhaps years of prayer being ushered as spontaneous babbling has conditioned me to be attracted to prayers that contain theological merit. The way a church prayers reflects the attitudes and depth of its people. I want to be part of a congregation which is seeking to not just know what they believe, but understand what they believe. I have found that often we say the right things without knowing what we are actually saying. This is a serious problem that the evangelical church is going to have to confront very soon.

As a result of this practicum, I learned that prayer is crucial to a service. It not only displays the character of the congregation but most importantly calls upon the Holy Spirit to be the present and driving force behind a service.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will Shelor said...

Great prayer, buddy. I agree about the scripted prayer point, although must point out that a little bit of spontaneity can be a good thing as the situation changes. I do agree that everything we do, including prayer, should be done with a purpose, and scripted prayers can be a great way of doing just that.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home